Two openings for regional organizers at Health Access: one in LA, the other in the Bay Area.
In particular, we are seeking someone to fill the large shoes of Eileen Ma, the bright, dynamic, trusted, and hardworking organizer who has run our Los Angeles office. She is leaving us this summer, moving to New York State. If you know of anyone that might be interested in such an exciting position, or could help us spread the word, please let me know.
We would greatly appreciate if you could post this, and distribute it on your lists and networks. Thanks!
Regional Organizers Wanted
(1) Bay Area Office, Oakland, CA
(1) Southern California Office, Los Angeles, CA
Positions posted May 17, 2002; Available immediately
Health Access seeks experienced community and political organizers to coordinate regional coalitions, campaigns, actions, and events in fighting to defend and expand access to health care. Health Access is seeking one energetic Bay Area organizer to be based out of our Oakland headquarters, and another to run our Los Angeles office.
A nonprofit organization dedicated to achieving quality, affordable health care for all California residents, Health Access is statewide coalition of over 200 member organizations representing seniors, children, people with disabilities, immigrants, communities of color, health care professionals, people of faith, labor, and working families. For fifteen years, Health Access has helped lead the movement for health care reform in California. We have promoted universal health care solutions, and have won specific and important victories. Most recently, Health Access was the leading sponsor of the California HMO Patient Bill of Rights, and worked to expand Medi-Cal and Healthy Families health coverage to low-income working families.
We seek regional organizers, one each at our Northern and Southern California offices, to:
· Coordinate regional health coalitions, including maintaining relationships with key members and informing them of developments in Sacramento and Washington, DC;
· Organize press conferences, actions, and events to support statewide issue campaigns;
· Serve as a regional spokesperson for the organization, including giving presentations to groups, and testimony at public hearings;
· Outreach to community leaders and key organizations;
· Formulate and execute strategy and tactics in political issue campaigns;
· Recruit new members and affiliates to the coalition;
· Identifying and working with uninsured families, immigrants, seniors, and patients;
· Developing grassroots leaders to be active on health care issues;
· Assist in research, fundraising, and other organizational operations;
Our ideal candidate is bright, creative, and energetic, and has:
· at least three years of experience in community and/or political organizing;
· the ability to work independently;
· good organization, writing, public speaking, and computer skills; and
· general familiarity with health care issues and California state politics.
· bi-lingual skills a plus.
Health Access offers a competitive salary with good benefits. As an equal opportunity employer, Health Access actively seeks an even more diverse staff, so women and people of color are strongly encouraged to apply. Interested candidates should send a resume and cover letter to:
Anthony Wright, Director of Organizing
1127 11th Street, Suite 234, Sacramento, CA 95814
(916)442-2308; Fax: (916)497-0921