HEALTH ACCESS UPDATE:Thursday, January 9th, 2013
NO NEW HEALTH CUTS, BUT GOVERNOR’S BUDGET LEAVES MAJOR HEALTH CUTS FROM PAST IN PLACE; IGNORES OPPORTUNITIES UNDER ACA
* Governor’s budget leaves in place health cuts made in the depths of the recession, including cuts to some Medi-Cal benefits and a 10% reduction to some of the lowest Medicaid provider reimbursement rates in the nation.
* Budget increase to Medi-Cal due to previously-enacted ACA implementation and other policy changes, including on mental health and substance abuse. New adjustments include “forgiveness” of some of the retroactive Medi-Cal rate cuts (while maintaining the cuts going forward), and $17.5 million for pediatric dental outreach and prevention. Budget continues transition of seniors and people with disabilities into managed care.
* Last year’s budget reallocated dollars from the county safety-net with new formulas; This year’s budget neglects the remaining uninsured that were neglected by those formulas. The budget misses the opportunity to fill the full promise of health reform, and not leave money in DC or Californians without care or coverage.
* Did You Sign-Up For Coverage? Share Your Story So We Can Defend/Improve the Law
* Contribute to Health Access To Help CA Seize The Opportunities in The New Year
* Read Real-Time Updates on ACA Implementation on Twitter @HealthAccess!